Tips for Comedy Shows
People ask us all the time "What do we need to do to make the show successful?"
The answer is simple, whether it's a nightclub show, corporate event, or even a house party the rules are generally the same.
1) Introduce the comedian properly, so the audience knows there is a show. Ask the comedian for a short intro (usually 2 -3 sentences with some credits and a little about them).
2) Turn off all TV's, no pool tables, etc. You want your audience focused on the comedians.
3) Make sure everyone is seated for the show and can see the stage or stage area. People standing for 60-120 minutes doesn't work well with comedy!
4) If this is a private party discuss with the comedian ahead of time the language content expectations.
5) If this is a nightclub show charge a cover. When people see free comedy show they assume it's amateurs.
6) If this is a nightclub show advertise! Newspaper, radio, etc. Let people know it's coming. Everyone loves to laugh, they just need to know a show is coming to town.
7) Start the show on time ... Don't keep your audience waiting!
8) If this is a corporate show, have the comedian on after dinner. It's too hard to eat and laugh. You want the crowd focused on the comedian not on there plates.
9) Do a microphone check before the show.
10) Tell the audience at the beginning heckling is not permitted. While most comedians can tear up a heckler really quick you don't want one ruining the show. You paid for a comedian, not a drunk yelling out stuff!